ATM TURIN, n° 116

Building year: 1911
Restored: 1976 (Atm) - 2006 (Gtt/Atts)
Owned by: Atm Turin

BRIEF HISTORY

Built in Turin in 1911 by the Diatto workshops, it belongs to a series that initially counted 50 cars. Enter into service for the strengthening of the network designed for the celebrations of the 50th anniversary of the Italian unification, it will circulate for decades, even towing trailers. During the Second World War, 12 engines of the series were requisitioned and brought to Munich, where they served for the transport of goods, a task that some units also carried out in Turin in the same years. In the post-war years, the surviving cars are gradually withdrawn or transformed into service trams. The 116 was instead restored in 1976 by the Atm Central Workshop, which brought it back to the state of the 1920s and assigned it to special services. At the dawn of the new millennium, the tram is transferred to Sassi, where it remains on display for a few years. In 2006 he returned to the workshop for an overhaul that would allow him to return to service: today it is the oldest circulating tram in the entire Turin historical park. The green sign "5 B.ra Casale-B.go San Paolo" such as the blue sign "10 Crocetta-Regio Parco" recall original routes served in the early years with precisely the engines of the series to which the 116 belongs.

116s

TECHNICAL DATA

- length: 7.400 mm
- width: 2,050 mm
- height: 3,420 mm
- gross weight: 12.244 Kg
- maximum speed: 30 km/h
- minimum radius: 13,759.5 mm
- power supply: 550 Vdc
- truck: Boeker 
- engine type: Tibb GDTM 111 A 4
- starting: rheostatic with inserter
- bodywork: Officine Diatto
- color: red-cream
- number of doors: 4 (gates)

PASSENGER CAPACITY

- seats: 16
- standing places: 15
- service places: 1
- total seats: 32

THE INAUGURATION OF 1976

On 22 April 1976, tramway n° 116 was inaugurated in Piazza Adriano in the presence of the president of the ATM Bertotti and the general manager, the engineer Paschetto, as well as the mayor of Turin Diego Novelli. The Atm music band enlivened the afternoon of celebration. Below are some photos of the day by Ivo Bassignana. An article in the newspaper La Stampa came out the next day. It can be found and read in their historical archive.

116-inaugurazione-220476-01116-inaugurazione-220476-02116-inaugurazione-220476-03116-inaugurazione-220476-04